Joint and muscle pain can prevent you from having a productive and active life. After all, injuries causing this severe pain can be demobilizing and potentially force you to physically depend on others.
You don’t have to continue to live with this discomfort and other restrictions. The doctors at Naples Community Injury Center can employ chiropractic adjustments and other treatments to help you heal from your injuries and manage your pain.
To learn more about how you can get on the road to recovery, call us today at 239-631-5445 to schedule Naples chiropractic adjustments.
Table of Contents
Chiropractic Treatment and Practice
Chiropractic treatment focuses on the relationship between your spine, musculoskeletal system, and function of your nervous system. A chiropractor can diagnose, treat, and provide prevention techniques for pain and muscular disorders and soothe symptoms to promote general well-being.
Your injuries may involve:
The Nervous System
The nervous system is responsible for the pain modulating process. Pain occurs when a perceived damaged stimulus activates the peripheral nerves. Initially, your spinal cord will receive the perceived pain before it expands into the deep centers of your brain.
The practice of chiropractic adjustments can reduce pain through the correction of vertebral subluxations or joints that have been partially dislocated. A chiropractor will identify the location of the subluxations and apply various manual techniques, such as spinal manipulation, potentially in combination with other alternative therapies.
A chiropractor can ease pain from neuromuscular disorders that interfere with the neuromuscular system. Neuromuscular disorders impact the nerves that control your muscles and interrupt communication between your nerves and your muscles.
Some examples of neuromuscular disorders include:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS): This disorder attacks the neurons in your brain and spinal cord and disrupts messages sent from your brain and spinal cord to your voluntary muscles. Some symptoms include difficulty walking, writing, and speaking.
- Muscular dystrophy: There are more than 30 different types of muscular dystrophy that cause muscle loss and weakness. Muscular dystrophy is categorized by whom it affects, the muscles affected, and specific symptoms of the disorder.
- Myasthenia gravis: This is an autoimmune disease that weakens your muscles. Your muscles may feel worse during activity and better with rest.
- Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA): This classifies a group of hereditary diseases that progressively destroys motor neurons in the brain stem and spinal cord. SMA can lead to difficulty speaking, walking, breathing, and swallowing. When motor neurons can’t communicate with the muscles in your arms, legs, chest, face, throat, or tongue, those muscles will begin to weaken.
Chiropractic treatment can also be used to treat musculoskeletal disorders that affect your bones, joints, and connective tissue.
Musculoskeletal disorders include:
- Chronic lower back pain: This is defined as experiencing persistent lower back pain for at least three months, which may or may not progress over time.
- Osteoarthritis: This condition is considered as experienced joint pain that worsens with activity and improves with rest. This is caused by cartilage damage, which can be a reaction to stress, injury, mechanical overload, or increasing age. Usually, this occurs in the knee, hip, hand, or wrist.
- Inflammatory arthritis: This condition is characterized by inflammation of the joints or surrounding tissues and includes both rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and psoriatic arthritis (PsA).
These disorders can be disabling and may be hereditary or stem from infections, inflammation, or aging.
Our Naples Chiropractic Adjustments
There are various techniques that chiropractors use to alleviate their patients’ pain. The type of chiropractic treatment your doctor uses will depend on your individual needs and the type of pain you’re suffering. Your chiropractor can manually perform these healing methods or do them with the assistance of an activator to produce thrusts to a joint or joints.
Spinal manipulation involves a chiropractor using his or her hands or a chiropractic device to produce high-velocity, low-amplitude thrusts to a joint in the spine. Spinal adjustments can lead to changes in your nervous system, which may impact how your brain and body register the perceived pain.
According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), spinal manipulation is a widely popular complementary treatment in the United States among both children and adults. Many people who seek this form of chiropractic treatment are looking to treat a specific health condition, such as sciatica, headaches, and neck and back pain.
Reflex therapy or reflexology relies on the connection between all your body parts to energize your entire body. Some chiropractors may use reflex therapy to alleviate pain through pressure points in the feet or hands.
This technique can improve circulation, which can reduce pain and help heal injuries. The goal of reflexology is to return the body to its natural state.
Conditions That Can Benefit From Chiropractic Treatment
Chiropractic treatments are not supplements for treatment but can be effective when traditional treatment when your medical team applies other treatments. You may benefit from chiropractic care if you are experiencing the following conditions:
Asthma is a chronic condition where the airways to your lungs can be inflamed, making it difficult to inhale and exhale. Although chiropractic treatment doesn’t directly treat asthma, it can change the severity of asthma symptoms and reduce inflammation.
Sports injuries typically refer to lower limb muscle injuries caused by the impact a sport can have on your body. Chiropractic adjustments can help relieve pain and soreness while helping prevent further injury.
Many cases of neck pain have no clear cause. Two types of neck pain are:
- Axial pain, which is throbbing, dull pain people experience in the part of the neck, or
- Radicular pain, which is caused by irritated nerves and might be described as a shooting sensation that goes down the arms or up the head
Naples chiropractic adjustments and spinal manipulation can help with pain relief and management in your neck.
Back pain is a common medical problem that can range from dull to severe and acute to chronic. Chronic back pain is defined as pain that goes on for twelve weeks or longer. Some causes of lower back pain are:
- Skeletal irregularities
- Traumatic injury
- Intervertebral disc degeneration
- Spinal nerve compression
Our Naples chiropractors can treat back problems with spinal manipulation to mitigate pain. They may also incorporate other physical therapy techniques and prescribe you exercises to help strengthen your back muscles.
Fibromyalgia causes abnormal pain perception processing, which means that people with fibromyalgia are more sensitive to pain. Widespread pain in the body can cause sleep problems, fatigue, and mental distress. If you have lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, you are at a higher risk for developing fibromyalgia, per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The chiropractors at Naples Community Injury Center can focus on pain relief throughout different parts of your body. They can work closely with you to create a treatment plan that helps mitigate your fibromyalgia pain and caters to your physical and mental health needs.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) stems from irritated tendons or swelling that narrows your carpal tunnel. Your carpal tunnel runs from your forearm to your palm. According to Mayo Clinic, when your carpal tunnel narrows, it suppresses your median nerve at your wrist, which affects the mobility of primarily your thumb, index, and middle finger.
Symptoms of carpal tunnel include:
Carpal tunnel pain can be reduced with chiropractic treatment as well as acupuncture and yoga.
Naples, Florida, Chiropractic Regulations
You may be nervous about seeing a chiropractor because you find it difficult to trust someone applying potentially dangerous pressure to your spine. However, chiropractors must be licensed in their state of practice to conduct treatment.
In Naples, the Florida Board of Chiropractic Medicine is responsible for licensing and regulating chiropractors with the health of the public in mind. This organization enforces rules of chiropractic treatments, such as a chiropractor’s competency and ethical practices. It is their job to ensure that your chiropractor can effectively and safely perform chiropractic treatments.
Call Naples Community Injury Center to Learn More About Chiropractic Adjustments
With over 60 years of combined professional experience, our doctors at Naples Community Injury Center are committed to finding the best way to mitigate your pain. Our team consists of medical professionals across several fields, including a neurosurgeon, chiropractors, and physician assistants.
Our chiropractors are attentive listeners so that they can create treatment plans that are tailored to your unique needs and will effectively relieve your pain. If you are struggling with acute or chronic pain, contact Naples Community Injury Center at 239-631-5445 and learn how we can help you manage your pain.